Monday, August 7, 2017

World House Music: Tanzania receives its first concert grand piano at Tumaini University Makumira thanks to hundreds of donors















Abe Cáceres writes with an update on the effort to provide Tanzania with its first concert grand piano:

Brothers and Sisters,

I am so excited, I can barely contain myself!

Many of you will remember that on February 28, 2016, in Cary, NC, I, along with the adult and youth choirs of Kirk of Kildaire Presbyterian Church, the choir of Shaw University, and some outstanding local artists performed a concert featuring my original music with special selections from the Shaw University Choir.  This was the initial fundraising event for the Piano and Music for Tanzania project which had two goals: 

1) to send the first concert grand piano ever to reach Tanzania, and 
2) to provide scholarship funds for deserving students.

On February 28, 2017, a year TO THE DATE, Randy Stubbs, head of the Cultural Arts Centre (CAC) of Tumaini University Makumira, sent me an email.  He informed me that the 7’ 2” Hailun concert grand piano we had sent had cleared customs in Dar Es Salaam and was heading to its’ new home!  Attached are pictures of the piano being uncrated and set up for use in the newly constructed Performance Building, as well as pictures of its’ enthusiastic reception. In a future post I will share some of the wonderful stories behind these pictures, as well as more about the inauguration of the CAC which took place a few weeks ago. 

I, World House Music, and the Board of Directors are grateful to the hundreds of people who contributed to the success of this impressive, feel good story from Africa.  More information to come!  

Peblejah!

Dr. Abe

Abe Cáceres, Ph.D., Director
World House Music

No comments: