Sunday, February 12, 2017

John Malveaux: A great blessing of many years has been my friendship with composer George Walker... Feb. 11...I met Gregory Walker, violinist and son of George Walker.

Gregory Walker and John Malveaux

John Malveaux of 
writes:

A great blessing of many years has been my friendship with composer George Walker who is the foremost living and working American classical music composer. At age 94, George Walker is currently in discussion with the National Symphony for the premiere of a new composition. Another blessing came Saturday, February 11, 2017 during The African American Art Song Alliance 20th Anniversary Celebration at University of California, Irvine. I met Gregory Walker, violinist and son of George Walker. Gregory performed BLEU by his father February  9, 2017 during opening session of African American Art Song Alliance 20th anniversary celebration but i was not in attendance.  The UCI Symphony Orchestra with tenor Albert R. Lee also performed George Walker's Pulitzer prize composition LILAC, for voice and orchestra (Walt Whitman) Please see pic and http://gregorywalkerviolin.com/

Comment by email:
Many thanks, Bill. I have been most grateful for John's support and his advocacy of my music. I was happy to know that he had met my son, Gregory, at the African American Song Alliance Conference.  Best regards. George  [George Walker] 

No comments: