Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Charles Kaufmann: I have just posted a recording of my adaptation for bassoon and orchestra of a lost Coleridge-Taylor work, "Lament"

Samuel Coleridge-Taylor (1875-1912)

Lament for violin, cello and orchestra, Op. 59, No. 4

Charles Kaufmann of The Longfellow Chorus of Portland, Maine writes:

Dear Bill,

I have just posted a recording of my adaptation for bassoon and orchestra of a lost Coleridge-Taylor work, "Lament," originally published by Ditson in 1905 in "24 Negro Melodies" as piano variations on the East African melody, "They Will Not Lend Me A Child." But Coleridge-Taylor later arranged this for violin and cello soli accompanied by orchestra. This orchestral manuscript remained an unpublished work, like so many other SCT works.

I've taken this manuscript orchestral score and created a bassoon and orchestra version. (Lacking violin and cello soloists, and thankfully saving expensive soloists' fees, I could easily play the bassoon part myself accompanied by my synthetic computer orchestra.) The result is a concert piece that just as well could have been written for bassoon and orchestra had SCT known any good bassoonists way back then in 1910. Saint Saens knew them in France, but during SCT's lifetime England was not yet up to measure as far as bassoon was concerned:

Best wishes,

Charles Kaufmann, artistic director
The Longfellow Chorus

No comments: