Friday, October 14, 2011

Timothy W. Holley: “Gary's piece is indeed a 'fingerbuster'!! I'd welcome a look at Tanya's edited score...”

[Symphonic Brotherhood; Albany Troy 104 (1993)]


Dr. Gary Powell Nash has posted a comment on the blog:
“I saw where my composition Blues Impromptu for Solo Cello has been referenced before on AfriClassical.com. It's last live public performance was in 2008 at the Society of Music Theory conference in Nashville, TN, Philip Ewell, cello for a presentation on Fisk Univ. Composers. Matt Haimovitz also performed it in 2004 during a tour which included performances in Nashville, TN and Jackson, MS.”

Timothy W. Holley commented by email:
“Thanks Bill...Gary's piece is indeed a 'fingerbuster'!! I'd welcome a look at Tanya's edited score to see how certain passages were fingered and bowed.
TWH”

Mike Wright addressed a comment to Timothy W. Holley by email:
“Tim, Thanks for your note. I have known Gary for some time and have huge respect for his compositions. His ‘Blues Impromptu’ is in my view very special and I have been hoping for a long time that a another recording will be made. I also am convinced that his big command of orchestration as displayed in such compositions as ‘In Memorium Sojourner Truth’ (1992) is truly in the top league. Hear http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJKPT8f3UlY but I also hope that one day, there will be a better interpretation of this work by an orchestra that understands the music better than on this ‘pathfinder’ recording.

“I was extremely glad that Bill Zick circulated your activities as it gave me a chance to ‘air’ my opinion on Gary Nash’s music via his work for ‘cello. I truly hope that one day, a composer of the stature of Gary Nash (who clearly displays real insight into writing music for ‘cello) will find a means to write a major work for the instrument with full orchestra.
Kind regards
Mike

1 comment:

drgpn said...

Tim, you can also consult with Matt Haimovitz about that.