Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Homeschooler: 'was looking for black composers and I came across your site. It is perfect for my purposes.'


On Monday we received a very nice email from Danielle Bennette, a homeschooling parent in New Orleans:

“I was so excited to find your website!!! I am an African American homeschooling mother of 6 in New Orleans. We homeschool utilizing the classical model for learning through Classical Conversations. I supplement our schoolwork with Afrocentric knowledge/materials/info. Right now in Fine Arts we are studying classical music and was looking for black composers and I came across your site. It is perfect for my purposes. The children will learn about some composers/musicians, hear some of their works, and can take a quiz. I also like the term 'Africlassical', I think it describes our method of learning perfectly. I may have to borrow the term. ;)
Thanks for the fantastic resource,
Danielle Bennette,
Africlassical Homeschooler

PS If ever in town send me an email. Also, what would you say is the difference between classical music and jazz (instrumental)? The New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival, as well as the French Quarter Fest will be happening soon. www.nojazzfest.com & www.fqfi.org. It's festival season!!

No comments: