Friday, October 23, 2009

Which African American Classical Pianist of the Sixties Played Debussy on LP?

AfriClassical has received an email query from a reader:

“Greetings, I am trying to remember the name of a young (late twenties, early thirties) African American classical pianist who became somewhat well known in the mid nineteen sixties. I owned a vinyl disc that included some Chopin (I think) and if I remember correctly Debussy's 'Sunken Cathedral'. Do you have any idea who this may be? Thank you."
(Answers to the question may be submitted as “Comments” on this post.)

2 comments:

Wilmer Wise said...

The pianist in question was probably Philippa Schuyler.. or maybe Natalie Hinderas
It was a bit to soon for Andre Watts:-)
Wilmer

Dr. Holley said...

I recall that Don Shirley made some of his recordings in the late 1960s, and some of his arrangements betray a clear affinity to Debussy, Ravel and Rachmaninoff. However, I know of no specific commercial releases of his. I do have an LP of 1976 of a then-young pianist named Felipe Hall playing piano music of George Walker, Samuel Coleridge-Taylor, William Grant Still and Howard Swanson. Perhaps he might warrant some further discographic investigation!! Bon chance!!
TWH